Chocolate cake is something that should be easy to make and readily available.
While I may sometimes experiment with more decadent versions (mostly for my own birthday), this easy to make vegan chocolate cake recipe is one of my two go to birthday cake recipes and produces a lovely, moist and chocolatey cake that you can easily go back for a second slice of. The secret to this chocolate cake is buttermilk. You can make your own vegan buttermilk by adding 2 tsp of apple cider vinegar to 1 1/2 cups of your choice of milk and letting it sit for 5 minutes.
This cake tastes great with a simple vanilla glaze topping. Prepare one by by whisking together 3/4 cup icing sugar, a tsp of vanilla extract and a couple of tablespoons of milk, and pour on the cake for a glazed donut taste. Or, serve as is with fresh fruit and a scoop of ice cream (my favourite).
Either way it is delicious. Here’s the recipe so you can try for yourself.
- 1½ cups soy milk (or your choice of alt milk)
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- ¾ cup applesauce
- ½ cup mashed banana
- ⅔ cup oil (I like to use coconut oil or grapeseed oil)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cups sugar
- 2 cups + 2 tbsp whole wheat flour
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- Preheat the oven to 180 C.
- Line a spring form pan or rectangular cake pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- Prepare your buttermilk by adding the milk and apple cider vinegar to a bowl and setting aside for 5 minutes.
- Add the applesauce, mashed banana, vanilla extract, oil and sugar and stir well.
- In a separate bowl combine your flour, cocoa, baking powder and baking soda.
- Fold the dry ingredients into your wet ingredients and mix well so that it is fully combined.
- Pour the batter into your cake pan and put in the oven.
- If using a spring form pan, you'll want to bake the cake for about 35 min. With a large rectangular pan 30 min may be enough.
- Test to see if the cake is ready by gently poking the cake. Its shape will spring back.
- Let the cake cool before opening the spring form pan so that it separates cleanly from the pan.
- Let the cake cool fully before adding glaze or icing toping.
Leave a Reply