This vegan omelette recipe is one of my favourite discoveries. Who would have thought that you can make a delicious and healthy omelette, egg-free, using chickpea flour as the base.
Served with hashbrowns and salad it makes a perfect breakfast, lunch, or even dinner. If sandwiches are more your thing, I am planning on sandwiching one of these for tomorrow’s lunch with some chunky hummus and fresh roasted peppers.
Bottom line – this omelette is versatile, healthy, and incredibly quick to prepare.Adult approved, this vegan omelette recipe was sadly only toddler tolerated, so I will be experimenting with flavour combinations and may share an update on this recipe later with a new seasoning blend for it.
This recipe is adapted from the one Dassana shares at VegrecipesofIndia.com, one of my favourite food blogs, and has an underlying Indian flavouring, making it a nice change from what I usually cook.
Preparations are simple. Start by washing and dicing your tomato, onions and cilantro. Throw it all into your mixing bowl, add your chickpea flour, spices, and lastly water. Stir well, and make sure to scrape all of the flour from the bottom of the bowl. You’ll end up with a mixture that resembles uncooked egg.
I like to use my T-fal pancake griddle to fry up perfect mini-omelettes because it lets me do six at a time, but obviously any frying pan will work. Drop a tsp of oil in the pan, letting it cover the cooking surface and spoon your mixture into the pan, using the spoon to spread the vegetable filling out across the omelette surface.
Cook it like a pancake, waiting until you see that the bottom has started to brown and that the edges have cooked before flipping over to cook the other side. You may need to add some more oil to the pan when cooking the second side to allow it to cook through.
- 1 cup chickpea flour
- 1½ cups water
- 2 medium tomatoes, finely diced
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- ½ cup cilantro leaves (chopped)
- ½ inch of fresh ginger, finely diced
- 1 medium green chili pepper, finely diced
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- ⅛ tsp garam masala
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp oil for frying
- Mix all ingredients (except the oil) together in a medium sized bowl and blend well.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan or griddle and spoon the mixture into the pan, using the spoon to spread the "omelette" across the cooking space.
- Let cook until the bottom is browned and the edges are cooked, similar to cooking a pancake, and then flip carefully using a spatula.
- Add more oil if necessary to allow the other side to cook through.
- Serve warm with your choice of side dishes.