I love chocolate. And I love brownies.
I love THESE brownies because they also happen to be pretty healthy, while still being 100% toddler approved.
Adapted from a recipe I found on Minimalist Baker – one of my absolute favourite food blogs, I first made these when looking for dairy-free, egg-free dessert options for my son that were also kosher for Passover. It quickly became a staple dessert allowing me to cater to both my son’s allergies and my neice’s gluten-free diet, though they disappear as quickly as I make them because they happen to be a hit with the rest of the family also.
Happily, these brownies are a one bowl recipe and the prep work is as simple as throwing all ingredients into the food processor
I like to serve them with freshly cut strawberries, but they also are amazing when paired with ice cream or sorbet.
If you want to make these and then save them for later (a second batch maybe?), be sure to let them cool for 5-10 minutes before storing to avoid condensation.
- 1¾ cups black beans (cooked and rinsed - equivalent to 1 15oz can; you can also make these with garbanzo beans, kidney beans, or navy beans with minor variations in flavour)
- ½ cup + 1 Tbsp cane sugar
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa
- ½ cup mashed banana (= 1 medium banana)
- 3 Tbsp oil (I like to use grapeseed oil)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- Possible Toppings (optional, to taste)
- chopped nuts (walnuts, peanuts, etc)
- chocolate chips
- fruit (banana slice, berries, etc)
- cacao nibs
- shaved coconut
- Lightly grease the muffin tray or line with paper liners.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C.
- Add the main ingredients (beans, cocoa, sugar, banana, oil, vanilla, baking powder) to the bowl of your food processor and pulse on high for 1 min or until smooth and well blended.
- Spoon the batter into the muffin cups, being sure to smooth the batter within the cup to prevent air pockets.
- Top with your choice of toppings (I like to add a slice of banana and some crushed nuts or shaved coconut).
- Bake for 22-25 minutes, until you see the brownies pull away from the sides of the muffin cups.
- Serve warm with ice cream and berries, or allow to cool 10 min before storing.